Thursday, September 16, 2010

Folder names which you can't create in Windows !!

Hello friends,
I was trying few things on my laptop and then one of friend came to me ask if I can create a new folder with name 'con',  the I said "yes, why not ?"
Then he challenged me to create the folder name as con and show him, I tried but I was unsuccessful and then I asked him to give me some time so that I can create the folder with name con, and then I surfed internet to know the reason and then I came to knew that Windows use con,prn,aux, com1, com2, com3, com4, com5, com6, com7, com8, com9, lpt1, lpt2, lpt3, lpt4, lpt5, lpt6, lpt7, lpt8, lpt9 for special purpose, so Windows don't allow users to create the folder with those names (atleast directly). Try to create if you don't believe me, and I'm sure you will not be able to create a folder name with above mentioned names. To add on this, you know it was first time observed by an Indian !

But, I could find a way to create a folder with name as 'con' (without quotes) and indirectly others also. :)
There are three ways in which you can create a folder by those names, and the methods are
  1. Using a Software like Dosbox , but I don't think there is fun in using a software and creating a folder with specified names.
  2. Second way is you can cheat, that is press Alt+0160 and then type con or prn or aux or any of the above mentioned names. Here Alt+0160 will give a extra space before you type the name of the folder, which you can't do it directly by pressing space bar. Also, by this trick you can rename a folder by 'con' or 'prn' or  'aux' or 'nul'   or 'lpt*' or 'com*'
  3. And the last way which I know is by using command prompt of windows. Go to start then click on run and the type 'cmd'(without quotes) and then type below mentioned command to create the folder name of your choice,
    • C:\Documents and settings>md \\.\D:\con to create the folder in D drive with name con.
    Also, the interesting part is that after creating the folder you can't delete is by right clicking on the folder and click on delete option, to delete the folder use the following command,
    • C:\Documents and settings>rd \\.\D:\con
    You ca specify the path where you want to create/delete the folder in place of drive D as destination.
Note: asterisk signifies that  you can type number from 1 to 9 in place of asterisk. Also, you can replace con by any of the names specified like 'md \\.\D:\prn' to create prn folder in drive D.

I thought that I should be sharing this trick all of you here, so that whenever somebody challenges you can just create a folder by above mentioned names or you can challenge your friend and another reason was to improve/share our knowledge about computers.

Hope you liked the trick which I specified here !!
We will be sharing more stuffs like this till then keep surfing and have fun... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment